Hawkeye Solution Components
Deploy Hawkeye Solution
- Deploy Hawkeye web server in central location (NOC, data center, etc.)
- Strategically-deploy software and hardware endpoints to cost-effectively reach any network location:
- Customer premises
- Mobile devices – Wi-Fi or Cellular
- Remote sites and head offices
- Network aggregation points (PEs)
- Core network, MPLS routers
- Data centers
- Virtual machines and servers
Plan and design your active test scenarios
- Define test topology with node-to-node or mesh with hub and spoke
- Build large topology test (full mesh) with one click
Select test types among default pre-calibrated tests in Hawkeye library
Hawkeye supports a variety of service level agreement (SLA) and quality of experience (QoE) objectives, that include:Select test types among default pre-calibrated tests in Hawkeye library
- Bandwidth availability or verification with bit blasting or TCP-based testing
- Speed test from site to site with advanced configuration on traffic profiling
- Class of service (COS) implementation validation
- IP network SLA verification (one-way delay, jitter, loss)
- Real-time streaming verification
- Mean opinion score (MOS) for voice
- Media delivery index (MDI) for video streaming
- Server response time for transactional applications emulating user profile
- Unified communications tests (Skype for Business)
- Access to any HTTP/HTTPS servers using one arm test to any URL
- Experience downloading web pages
- Netflix, YouTube, and any Dash/Adaptive streaming test
- Ping (ICMP, TCP, UDP) and traceroute to any interface on the web
- QoE for email, torrent, YouTube, Dropbox, etc.
Monitor distributed WI-FI networks from end-user perspective
- Connect XRPi to Wi-Fi in key locations and software agents in smartphones for ad hoc verifications
- Collect Wi-Fi signal strength information while running Hawkeye tests
Create target thresholds for different tests
- Adjust applications, test variables, and thresholds based on trial data to match expectations of the network and its performance
- Thresholds are the baseline to decide if tests are passing or failing
- Setting up correct thresholds is essential for understanding the test results and making sure that the right level of information is in the database
- Default test thresholds are pre-configured in the system
Define your active test schedules
- Schedule new tests over time to continuously inject instrumented traffic in the network. Verify continuous 24/7 lines or full topology.
- Define on-demand or scheduled tests. Define time to start your test, interval between tests, tests duration, and time to stop test. Allows running continuous proactive monitoring of tests.
- Use different result levels and granularity to get quick and efficient results and understanding
- Ensure every team member can get to the data required with simple Pass/Fail or detailed test reports
- See results in real time in geographic dashboard
- Run your test and look at single instance results or group of tests results
- Quickly identify problematic links
Wi-Fi coverage dashboard
- Look at specific tests and get understanding of results
- Run trend reports on historical data and analyze network behaviors
- Export and send reports via email to share results between teams
Monitor Pass/Fail for trouble spots
- Activate alarms on critical paths
- Get notified by email, SNMP traps, customized notifications
- Reporting engine allows creation of reports and dashboards based on the results stored in the database
- Schedule daily automatic reports to follow critical networks
- Receive automatic emails with comprehensive reports
Don't fight fires. prevent them.
Hawkeye, Ixia’s active network monitoring platform, helps you prevent service outages and downtime. Rather than reactively monitoring live user activity, Hawkeye proactively probes for performance issues by sending simulated traffic to hardware- and software-based endpoints across your network.
With Hawkeye, you can prevent costly outages monitor user experience in real time. By detecting, diagnosing, and fixing issues before they cause downtime, you can keep your network running smoothly — improving productivity, hastening time-to-market, and saving your organization considerable sums of money.
Meet tough SLAs and lock in service assurance with inline and active monitoring
For large corporations and network service providers, SLAs are the pulse of business. But as expectations around quality of service (QoS) continue to rise, meeting them can be hard without monitoring last-mile connectivity — threatening your ability to satisfy customers and maintain network access across branch sites.
An inline monitoring probe, IxProbe combines real-time monitoring, SLA verification, and synthetic QoS testing via Hawkeye — putting you in control of your network's edge with fewer truck rolls, faster troubleshooting, and effortless deployment at scale.
Be the first to know what is happening on your network – understand your users’ experience. Using synthetic traffic, proactively know what service providers are delivering and troubleshoot problems quickly.
WEB AND APPLICATION MONITORING
Your users are making video calls, sharing documents, and more, using a combination of local and cloud based services. Ensure a good experience by quickly resolving network versus application problems.
The explosive growth of mobility and trends like BYOD and IoT demand you ensure the best Wi-Fi connectivity is available. Detect outages or bottlenecks before they impact user experience.
Cloud hosted infrastructures send critical traffic beyond your network to reach SaaS platforms. Gain visibility into the cloud to proactively detect and troubleshoot cloud access problems.
- Distributed Endpoints
- Types of Tests
- Application Library
- Path Discovery
- KPIs Built-in
- Real-time Dashboard
Distributed Monitoring Endpoints
Hawkeye offers a single Web based interface which scales to monitor hundreds of endpoints anywhere in the world. Endpoints sit at remote sites (e.g. branch office or home) and at a data center, headquarters, private or public cloud. They generate synthetic traffic to inject into and receive from the live network, reproducing real users traffic patterns. The synthetic traffic is processed for objective quality metrics and used for insights.
In node-to-node tests, one endpoint generates synthetic traffic and sends it to a second endpoint on a live network. An example would be a branch office to the main office. The receiving endpoint (node) is able to relay information about the quality of the connection to the management interface - where results are displayed in real-time live dashboards. Multiple node-to-node tests can be setup, considered a mesh, where an endpoint can serve both as the origination point of synthetic traffic as well as a recipient of traffic from other endpoints.
Real Service Tests
In real service tests, an endpoint generates synthetic traffic and sends it to servers or network equipment – it will process the response it receives from the network into objective KPIs to the management interface, where again it it displayed real-time.
Hawkeye makes it simple with the largest application library in the industry; this allows users to generate many kinds of synthetic traffic to pro-actively monitor their live networks.
With the application library, you can:
- Ensure the quality of experience (QoE) for your users. Emulate Voice and video traffic, covering services like standard Voice over IP (VoIP), unified communications (e.g. Skype for business), or other video conferencing
- Make sure your users can access business critical applications such as Office 365, Youtube, Dropbox and more.
- Qualify and maintain network SLAs with diagnostic tools for IP Transport testing - Assess layer 3 network performance indicators (loss, jitter, delay)
- Validate network services like DNS and Traceroute by quickly diagnosing with ping and resolving any issues
- Qualify the real capacity of your circuits. Test TCP and UDP traffic throughput over wired or wireless connections. Synthetic traffic can be generated up to line rate
Get visibility into the network topology from a location with a Hawkeye endpoint to any remote location.
The path discovery feature works by using standard protocols packets being sent to the network to find out about nodes being traversed. That is why there is no need for specific software or hardware being deployed on the path nor at the remote location.
Discover application-specific paths by way of configuring the protocol and ports used by an application to discover the route taken by packets to reach the destination.
Path discovery leverages the Hawkeye test execution framework to allow historical data collection and perform analysis in real time or with retrospective views.
Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) Built-in
Know how your network performance, web and application experience and Wi-Fi experience is against pre-defined KPIs. There are two steps to determining performance.
Step 1: Hawkeye generates synthetic traffic from endpoints and then measures the response from the network, application or Wi-Fi. Metrics are assessed based on the type of traffic.
- Voice/Video/Unified communication: Mean Opinion Score, delay, jitter, packet loss
- IP transport metrics: delay, jitter, packet loss, packet loss bursts
- Bandwidth capacity per class of service, per stream throughput
- Web site browsing: response time, time to first byte, per file download rate
- Availability (is there is a response or not)
Step 2: Hawkeye then evaluates the measurements against thresholds, to determine the performance of a network, application or Wi-Fi
- Default thresholds are based on industry or standards (e.g. ITU, IETF)
- You can customize thresholds based on your organizations' business drivers
- Where no industry standards exist, Ixia uses its extensive in the network test space, to create guidlines for expected performance
- Metrics are reported pass-fail based on the thresholds configured
Hawkeye includes real-time dashboards that showcase KPIs and current performance of your network, application service and Wi-Fi. Dashboard are comprehensive and show everything from endpoint deployment on a map, a summary of scheduled tests and ongoing results. With a glance, you know what is going on!
Hawkeye is now Microsoft Certified for Skype for Business
“By participating in the Skype for Business Certification Program, Ixia’s Hawkeye has been tested and proven to be an enterprise grade communications solution for Skype for Business. Ixia is now a member of our diverse ecosystem of best of breed vendors for unified communications pre-assessment and rollout.”
Paul Cannon, Senior Product Marketing Manager, Microsoft